Chocolate Granola. Old fashioned oats, almonds, pecans, and walnuts tossed in mix of butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla and cocoa powder. Granola baked until crispy and tossed with toasted coconut and dark chocolate chips.
Why You Should Make This Granola
- prepped and ready in minutes.
- delicious for snacking or breakfast.
- base recipe perfect for your favorite granola add-ins.
- wonderful as a dessert garnish.
- stores very well in an airtight container.
How To Make This Chocolate Granola
Sweetened flaked coconut is toasted while the oven heats up to 325 degrees F. It takes the bite out of the coconut, adds a bit of color and flavor.
Old-fashioned oats and a mix of pecans, walnuts and almonds are tossed together in a large bowl.
Light brown sugar, honey, and unsalted butter are brought to a gentle simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. The mixture is stirred until smooth and removed from the heat.
Vanilla bean paste, salt, and cocoa powder are stirred into the sugar mixture.
The warm mixture is poured over the oats and nuts, and stirred together using a spatula, a wooden spoon or your hands.
Once the oats are evenly coated, the granola is transferred to a parchment lined baking sheet, spread out, and baked in a 325 degrees F oven for 10 minutes. The oats are stirred and returned to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
The granola is completely cooled and tossed with the reserved toasted coconut and some semisweet chocolate chips (optional).
Other Brunch Recipe You Might Enjoy
- 60 grams sweetened flake coconut (1/2 cup)
- 170 grams old-fashioned oats (2 cups)
- 120 grams chopped mixed nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc.) (1 cup)
- 65 grams light brown sugar (1/3 cup)
- 85 grams honey (1/4 cup)
- 28 grams unsalted butter, melted (2 tablespoons)
- 3 grams vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 15 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (2 tablespoons)
- 85 grams semisweet chocolate chips (1/2 cup), optional
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Spread sweetened flaked coconut on baking sheet in single layer. Bake in preheated oven until flakes begin to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Avoid over baking. Remove baking sheet from oven and cool toasted coconut completely. Set aside.
- Add old fashioned oats and chopped mixed nuts to large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Add light brown sugar, honey, and unsalted butter to small sauce pan. Heat over low heat until butter melts. Stir with wooden spoon until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla bean paste, kosher salt, and cocoa powder. Stir until smooth.
- Add cocoa mixture to oats mixture. Stir to coat.
- Spread granola mix on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in hot oven 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and return to oven. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Stir in the reserved toasted coconut and semisweet chocolate chips, if desired