Apple Walnut Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Oatmeal cookies with fresh apple, toasted walnuts, and dark chocolate chips. Brown sugar, molasses, vanilla bean paste, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves give the cookie exceptional flavor. Baked golden and crisp around the edges.
Why You Should Make These Oatmeal Cookies
- combo of apple + walnut + dark chocolate + toasted oatmeal is delicious.
- perfect for brunch or dessert.
- cookie base perfect for your favorite add-ins.
- kid approved.
- cookies store and freeze well.
How To Make These Apple Walnut Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
This recipe has a dozen and a half ingredients. The first task is to gather them all.
An apple is peeled, cored and cut in half. One half of the apple is grated. The grated apple is set aside. The other half is likely eaten.
Unsalted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar are added to a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, the mix is creamed on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Mixer speed is reduced to low. Egg, molasses, apple butter (optional), and vanilla bean paste are added to the sugar mixture and beaten on low, long enough to incorporate.
All-purpose flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, fine sea salt, ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg are added to a large mixing bowl, and whisked to combine. Old-fashioned oats and chopped walnuts are stirred into the flour mix. The sugar mixture is added to the flour mixture and folded in using a large spatula. The reserved grated apple is folded in.
The cookie dough is refrigerated for 4 hours, or up to several days, to firm and meld.
Cold cookie dough is scooped, using a 2 tablespoon scoop, and arranged on parchment lined cookie sheets. The scoops of dough are topped with dark chocolate chips. The cookies are baked in a 350 degrees F. oven for 12 minutes, or until the cookies are set.
Cookies store well in an airtight container. Freeze these cookies in a freezer proof plastic bag for up to a month.
Other Cookie Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular cookie recipes include mocha chocolate chip cookies with caramel, dark chocolate chunk cookies with almond and coconut, triple chocolate chip cookies with macadamia nuts, chocolate shortbread with cashews and coconut, and almond butter cookies with almonds and chocolate.
Apple Walnut Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- 113 grams unsalted butter softened (1 stick OR 1/2 cup), room temperature
- 100 grams packed brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 50 grams granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 25 grams egg (3 tablespoons), lightly beaten
- 10 grams molasses (1-1/2 teaspoons)
- 15 grams apple butter (1 tablespoon), optional
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or extract (1 teaspoon)
- 95 grams all-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- 3 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- 1 gram fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 90 grams old-fashioned oats (1 cup)
- 50 grams roughly chopped walnuts (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 each large Honeycrisp apple, grated
- 20 grams semisweet chocolate chips (2 tablespoons)
- Add unsalted butter, light brown sugar and granulated sugar to stand mixer. Cream butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl, if necessary.
- Add egg, molasses, apple butter, and vanilla bean paste to sugar mixture. Beat on low until fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, fine sea salt, ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg to large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add old-fashioned oats and chopped walnuts to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the sugar mixture to the flour mixture. Fold in with large spatula.
- Add grated apple and fold in with large spatula.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and chill 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll about 2 tablespoons cold cookie dough into a ball. Place on prepared cookie sheets, 9 to a sheet, 3-inches apart. Top each cookie dough ball with dark chocolate chips.
- Bake in hot oven for 12 to 13 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Store cookies in airtight container.