Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Crispy, golden edges with soft centers. Dark chocolate and Reese’s peanut butter chips take this classic peanut butter cookie to another level.
I’ve been baking cookies every day for weeks. Working on my Christmas cookie collection for special posts this fall and winter, and for gift giving. I’ve created and sampled cookies from all over the globe. It’s a blast. And family and work associates are loving the results.
While I don’t believe there will be any peanut butter cookies in the collection, I may add a cashew butter sandwich cookie with a Christmas inspired filling.
The peanut butter cookie presented here today is a traditional style cookie that bakes up with slightly golden edges and a soft center. The addition of giant chunks of dark chocolate gives this cookie a classic flavor combo. The addition of peanut butter chips from Reese’s only enhances the experience.
Why You Should Make These Cookies
- kids love peanut butter cookies.
- cookies bake up crispy on the edges, soft in the center.
- peanut butter + chocolate is a classic combination.
- cookie dough base is perfect for your favorite add-ins.
- cookies store very well in an airtight container. Can be frozen in a zip-lock freezer bag up to 1 month.
How To Make Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Straightforward cookie recipe.
We will chill the dough and top our cookies with a few extra pieces of chocolate and pb chips before they go into the oven.
All-purpose flour, baking soda, and fine sea salt are added to medium mixing bowl, whisked to combine, and set aside.
Unsalted butter and creamy peanut butter are added to a stand mixer bowl and using the paddle attachment, beaten at medium speed for 1 minute.
Light brown sugar and granulated sugar are added to the stand mixer bowl, and beaten on medium speed for 2 minutes. The sides of the bowl are scraped down, if necessary.
Egg and vanilla bean paste are added to the stand mixer bowl, and beaten for 30 seconds on low speed.
The stand mixer bowl is removed from the stand mixer. The flour mixture is added to the cookie batter and folded in using a large spatula. It’s okay if a few streaks of flour remain.
The peanut butter baking chips and dark chocolate chunks are added to the cookie batter and folded in using the spatula.
The cookie dough batter is chilled for an hour to hydrate the flour, meld flavors, and keep the cookies from spreading too much when baked.
The oven is preheated to 350 degrees F. Two cookie sheets are lined with parchment paper.
The chilled cookie dough is scooped into three to four tablespoon rounds using an ice cream or cookie scoop. The dough is dropped onto the prepared cookie sheets and pressed down slightly. I like to drop a few reserved or additional pieces of the chocolate and peanut butter chips onto the top of the cookie dough for visual appeal when baked.
Cookies are baked in a preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. The edges should be slightly golden. The cookies will firm as they cool.
The cookie sheets are placed on a wire rack to cool completely.
Other Cookie Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular cookie recipes include pecan streusel cookies, almond chocolate chunk shortbread cookies, cashew butter crinkle cookies. mocha chocolate chip cookies with caramel, dark chocolate chunk cookies with almond and coconut, and triple chocolate chip cookies with macadamia nuts.
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies
- 160 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/4 cups)
- 3 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick OR 1/2 cup), softened
- 190 grams creamy peanut butter (3/4 cup)
- 75 grams light brown sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 75 grams granulated sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 50 grams egg (1 large), room temperature
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- 120 grams peanut butter baking chips (3/4 cup)
- 120 grams dark chocolate chunks or chips (3/4 cup)
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, and fine sea salt to medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add unsalted butter and creamy peanut butter to stand mixer. Using paddle attachment, beat 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add light brown sugar and granulated sugar to stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl, if necessary.
- Add egg and vanilla bean paste to stand mixer. Beat 30 seconds on low to incorporate.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer. Add flour mixture to stand mixer bowl. Fold in with large spatula. Avoid over mixing.
- Add peanut butter baking chips and dark chocolate chunks to cookie dough. Fold in using large spatula.
- Cover bowl with plastic and chill 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough using cookie or ice cream scoop (about 3 tablespoons per cookie). Drop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets (6 cookies per sheet).
- Press cookies down slightly.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are golden along the edges, and set in the center.
- Remove cookie sheets from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Store leftover cookies for several days in an airtight container at room temperature. Freeze baked cookies for up to 1 month in a freezer proof zip-lock bag.