Mocha chocolate chip cookies with caramel. This tender chocolate cookie dough features cocoa powder and espresso powder. Vanilla bean paste and light brown sugar give the cookie a rich flavor profile and extra moistness. The cookies are loaded with dark and milk chocolate chips and topped with little bits of caramel.
This recipe bakes up a dozen good sized cookies. I used a cookie scoop about 1-1/2 inches wide. The cookies can be left in their mounded shape, or pressed down slightly. They bake up beautifully either way. This cookie dough makes excellent extra-large cookies, or super small cookies.
This is a really nice chocolate cookie recipe. It’s perfectly delicious all on its own. It has a light, tender texture and rich chocolate flavor enhanced with espresso.
This tender, buttery cookie features cocoa powder, a mix of sugars, vanilla bean paste, and espresso powder. Dark and milk chocolate chips are mixed in, and tiny caramel pieces are poked into the surface of the cookie batter just before the cookies go into the oven.
The base cookie dough is easily doubled or tripled. I like to bake these cookies six per tray, two trays at a time, and the cookie dough rests nicely between trays going into the oven since it uses baking soda as its leavening agent, which needs to be heated in the oven to activate.
The cookies are very dark and can contrast nicely with add-ins like nuts, dried fruits, coconut, and light colored baking chips. This is a cookie to bake during the holidays for your cookie gifts and fill them with your favorite holiday flavors.
The cookie dough can handle about 1 cup of add-ins. Mix up your cookie dough and stir in your extras. Save a few pieces for adorning the top to give your cookies a little visual appeal.
These are delicious served warm out of the oven.
This is a great cookie for creating cookie sandwiches and ice cream cookie sandwiches. The cookie is firm, but tender and suitable for a variety of fillings.
Find Tartistry on: Pinterest Instagram and Facebook. Please feel free to leave comments and questions below. I would love to hear from you.
Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies with Caramel
- 160 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/4 cups)
- 45 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (3/8 cup)
- 3 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 6 grams instant espresso powder (1 tablespoon)
- 127 grams unsalted butter (9 tablespoons), room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 110 grams light brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 50 grams egg (1 large), room temperature
- 84 grams semisweet chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 84 grams milk chocolate chips (3 ounces)
- 56 grams caramel pieces (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place parchment paper or silpat mats on 2 cookie sheets.
- Add all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, fine sea salt, and instant espresso powder to mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar to stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and beat on low until well combined.
- With mixer on low speed, begin adding dry ingredients about 1/4 cup at a time. Scrape the bowl down, if necessary. Beat just long enough for the cookie dough to come together.
- Fold in the milk chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie or ice cream scoop, drop rounded cookie dough on prepared cookie sheets about 2-inches apart.
- Poke caramel pieces into top of cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove cookie sheets from oven and place on wire rack. Remove cookies from cookie sheets and cool completely.