Banana Bread Muffins. Fresh baked banana bread in portable form. These jumbo, bakery-style muffins feature brown sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, mashed ripe banana, and chopped walnuts. My favorite banana bread recipe baked into jumbo muffins.
Mashed bananas are added to creamed butter and sugar, eggs, vanilla bean paste, and sour cream. All-purpose flour is added to a medium mixing bowl with baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and fine sea salt. The dry ingredients are whisked to combine. The wet and dry ingredients are combined in one bowl, and gently folded together, along with chopped walnuts, using a large spatula.
I like to chill the batter for 30 minutes to let the ingredients meld and the baking powder to be activated. This step is optional, but I feel the muffins bake up higher, when the batter is briefly chilled. The batter is divided among 6 jumbo-size paper lined muffin cups. The muffins are baked for 22 minutes, or unto firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
For visual appeal, reserve a few walnut pieces to drop on the tops of the unbaked muffins after filling the muffin cups with muffin batter
You can bake this banana bread muffin batter off into regular size muffins. The timing will be different if you are not using a jumbo muffin pan. Check after 15 minutes to see how your muffins are doing and start gauging doneness.
Fresh baked muffins make the house smell amazing. Fresh from the oven with a little butter or jam is a great way to start the day. These muffins store very well covered lightly at room temp. They can be frozen in a zip-lock freezer bag for up to a month. Reheat muffins for a few minutes in a warm oven, or for a few seconds in the microwave.
Other Quick Bread Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular quick bread recipes include banana bread, roasted strawberry muffins, raspberry blueberry muffins, lemon ricotta blueberry muffins, raspberry cheesecake muffins, pumpkin banana chocolate muffins, lemon raspberry bread.
Banana Bread Muffins
- 1 (6 cup) jumbo muffin tin
- 256 grams all-purpose flour (2 cups)
- 5 grams baking soda (1 teaspoon)
- 3 grams baking powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 grams 1 gram ground cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 grams fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 60 grams walnuts (1/2 cup), roughly chopped
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 100 grams light or dark brown sugar (1/2 cup), packed
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup), melted
- 100 grams egg (2 large)
- 10 grams vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract (2 teaspoons)
- 60 grams sour cream or plain yogurt (1/4 cup)
- 3 each large overripe bananas (1-1/2 cups), mashed
- Line a jumbo muffin tin with 6 jumbo muffin paper liners.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and fine sea salt to medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add white sugar, light brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla bean paste, and sour cream to large mixing bowl. Stir or whisk to combine. Add mashed banana and stir until fully incorporated.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. Fold in gently with large spatula. Avoid over mixing. A few streaks of flour are okay.
- Chill the muffin batter for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scoop or spoon the chilled muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin, leaving about 1/4-inch at the top for the muffin to rise during baking.
- Bake 22 minutes in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove baking tin from oven and place on wire rack to cool.