Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Almonds and Coconut. It’s a throwback to the almond joy candy bar. It’s cocoa powdered chocolate chip cookie dough with chocolate chunks, salted whole almonds, and sweetened coconut flake add-ins.
Another month in the books. Even trapped inside for the most part, it was a good month. A chance to relax, reflect, learn some new stuff, and set some new goals. I continue to create in the kitchen daily, and I’m happy to share some new desserts in the coming weeks, especially some new spring and summer tarts.
Chocolate seems to be in everything, lately. That will change as we roll into summer. I’m excited to work with fruits and berries much more than I have in the past. And I have every ambition of procuring some really great products from my favorite vendors. I’ll definitely be showing local love more and more. Our neighborhood is hurting, so we’ll start there.
Ok, so on that chocolate theme, here we go… Today, were making a dark chocolate chunk, whole salted almond, sweetened coconut cookie. It’s easy to put together. Warm cookies out of the oven in less than half an hour. This is a cookie worthy of your holiday cookie box.
This is a buttery dark chocolate chunk cookie featuring brown sugar and vanilla with the addition of the salted whole almonds and sweetened coconut flakes.
All-purpose flour, baking soda, and fine sea salt are combined. The unsalted butter is creamed with the white and brown sugars. The egg and vanilla are added to the butter mixture. The flour mixture is slowly added to the mix, just until the cookie batter comes together. The dark chocolate chunks, salted whole almonds and sweetened coconut flakes are stirred in.
The cookie batter is scooped and dropped on parchment lined cookie sheets. At this point I like to slightly press down the cookie dough balls and drop a few extra pieces of each add in on the top of the cookie for visual appeal. The coconut won’t burn; it will turn a nice golden brown.
The cookies are baked until golden. These cookies are lovely slightly warm, or at room temperature.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Almonds and Coconut
- 170 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/4 cup)
- 3 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 grams fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1/2 cup OR 1 stick), softened
- 50 grams granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 100 grams brown sugar (1/2 cup)
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste (1 teaspoon)
- 50 grams egg (1 large)
- 170 grams dark chocolate chunks (1 cup)
- 120 grams sweetened coconut flakes (1 cup)
- 105 grams salted whole almonds (3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking soda, and fine sea salt to small bowl. Set aside.
- Add softened unsalted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar to stand mixer. Beat on low until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla bean paste and egg. Beat on low until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture (about 1/2 cup at a time) to the sugar mixture. Beat on low just until it starts to come together. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks, sweetened coconut flakes, and salted whole almonds.
- Using a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop or a spoon, drop rounded scoops of cookie dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 11 minutes, or until cookies look set and are lightly golden on the edges.
- Remove cookie sheets from oven and place on wire rack. Cool 10 minutes before removing cookies from cookie sheets.
- Cookies will set up as they cool. Store in an airtight container.