Pumpkin Banana Bread with Walnuts and Chocolate. Classic banana bread recipe enhanced with light brown sugar, vanilla bean paste, pure pumpkin, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and all-spice. Ready in just a few quick steps. In the oven in 15 minutes. Best served warm from the toasted with a spread of butter or your favorite fruit jam.
I bought a few large cans and a few small cans of pure pumpkin to take care of Thanksgiving and for playing around with in the kitchen. As it turns out, there were no pumpkin dishes served on turkey day, but the pumpkin found its way into my cooking and baking.
I made ravioli and a spicy soup with one large can. I made two desserts, a pumpkin cream pie, and a pumpkin cheesecake tart. I still had several cans on hand, so I devoted a portion of one to flavoring a loaf of banana bread. I thought the addition of toasted walnuts and semisweet chocolate chips would be nice, and I would sub in a little light brown sugar to make a richer, moister product. The result was quite nice.
The bread bakes up nice and firm. Slices fit nicely into the toaster (standing on end) and crisp up perfectly along their edges when toasted. The chocolate melts a bit, and butter melts the instant it hits the hot slice. An excellent breakfast or snack.
Why You Should Make This Pumpkin Banana Bread
- perfect for holiday breakfast, brunch, or snacking.
- banana + pumpkin + winter spices + walnuts + chocolate is delicious.
- prepped and in the oven in just minutes.
- toasted and topped with a little butter or jam is heaven.
- this quick bread stores extremely well.
How To Make This Pumpkin Banana Bread With Walnuts And Chocolate Chips
The oven is preheated to 350 degrees F. Two 9 x 5-inch bread loaf pans are buttered on the bottom and sides. In my case, as you can see in the photos, I made one large loaf and 2 mini loaves. The large loaf was a gift, so I filled the bread pan about 7/8 full so it would explode upwards when baked and create a very large loaf with nice big slices. I divided the rest across to mini loaf pans. The recipe is designed for two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
Eggs, unsalted butter, vegetable oil, vanilla bean paste, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar are added to a large bowl and whisked to combine.
When the sugar mixture is smooth, pure pumpkin and mashed bananas are added, and whisked until mostly smooth with a few lumps of banana. The banana mixture is set aside.
All-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, all-spice, and fine sea salt are added to a large mixing bowl and whisked to combine.
The flour mixture, along with the chocolate chips and toasted walnuts are added to the wet ingredients and gently folded in until no streaks of flour remain. Over mixing should be avoided.
The batter is divided evenly among the prepared pans. The loaves are baked for 60 minutes, or until golden on top, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The bread pans are placed on wire racks to cool before being inverted to remove the loaves.
Other Quick Bread Recipes You Might Enjoy
Pumpkin Banana Bread with Walnuts and Chocolate
- Two (9 x 5-inch) bread loaves
- 200 grams egg (4 large)
- 56 grams unsalted butter (1/4 cup), softened
- 60 grams vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 3 grams vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
- 200 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 65 grams light brown sugar (1/3 cup)
- 240 grams pure pumpkin (1 cup)
- 180 grams banana, mashed (1-1/2 cups)
- 450 grams all-purpose flour (3-1/2 cups)
- 10 grams baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- 5 grams baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
- 3 grams ground cinnamon (2 teaspoons)
- 2 grams ground nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 grams all-spice (1/4 teaspoon)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 170 grams milk or dark chocolate chips or chunks (1 cup)
- 50 grams toasted walnuts (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 bread pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add eggs, unsalted butter, vegetable oil, vanilla bean paste, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar to large mixing bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Add pure pumpkin and mashed bananas to sugar mixture. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, all-spice, and fine sea salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture, chocolate and walnuts to the sugar mixture. Fold in with a large spatula. Avoid over mixing.
- Divide the banana bread batter between the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake for 60 minutes in preheated oven. Bread will be golden on top, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean. If not, bake 5 additional minutes and recheck.
- Remove bread pans from the oven and cool on wire racks. Remove bread from pans to slice.
- Store bread in pans for several days, covered with foil.