Jumbo Orange Muffins with Cranberries, Walnuts and Chocolate. Jumbo bakery size muffins flavored with fresh orange zest, fresh orange juice, and vanilla bean paste. Tender muffins feature cranberries, toasted walnuts, and chocolate chips or chunks. Best served warm topped with a bit of butter, orange marmalade, or cranberry sauce.
With the leftover cranberries from the giant bag purchased for Thanksgiving cranberry sauce, I decided to make some jumbo orange cranberry, toasted walnut chocolate muffins. The remaining cranberries will go into a cranberry curd tart.
I love making different varieties of quick bread so I can see how a slice tastes after a trip in the toaster. The slices brown nicely along the edges and butter melts instantly. Insanely gratifying. For me. I’ll have to bake this off as a loaf of quick bread, just so I can give it the toaster test.
The batter for these muffins comes together quickly. The orange, cranberry, walnut, chocolate combo combined with a splash of vanilla bean gives these breakfast treats the perfect mix of sweet, sour, creamy and crunchy. The tender muffins are delicious served warm.
Why You Should Make These Muffins
- perfect brunch fare for the holidays.
- delicious fresh orange flavor from juice + zest.
- packed with cranberries + toasted walnuts + chocolate.
- ready and in the oven in minutes.
- muffins store extremely well.
How To Make These Jumbo Orange Muffins
I start with getting some frozen cranberries out of the freezer. I don’t worry about whether they are frozen or thawed going into the oven. By the time the muffin batter is ready to go, they will be somewhere in between.
The oven is set to 350 degrees F. 6 jumbo cupcake paper liners are set into the cups of a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan.
Fresh orange zest is added to granulated sugar in a small bowl. I will stir this with a fork or grind the zest into the sugar with my fingers. The orange sugar mixture is set aside momentarily.
All-purpose flour, baking powder, and fine sea salt are added to a large mixing bowl and whisked to combine. The orange sugar mixture is added to the flour mixture and whisked to combine.
Eggs, melted butter, vegetable oil, sour cream, whole milk, fresh orange juice, and vanilla bean paste are added to a large mixing bowl and whisked to combine.
The egg mixture is added to the flour mixture and folded in gently with a large spatula. Over mixing is avoided. Its ok to see a few streaks of flour remaining, as we still have our add-ins to fold in.
Slightly thawed cranberries, toasted walnuts, and chocolate chips are folded in to the muffin batter.
The orange muffin batter is spread evenly between the prepared cupcake liners. I usually add a few reserved add-ins (cranberries, toasted walnuts, and chocolate chips) to the top of each muffin so they look cool.
The muffins are baked for 22 to 25 minutes.
Other Muffin Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular muffin recipes include raspberry cheesecake muffins, roasted strawberry muffins, jumbo peach blueberry muffins, lemon ricotta blueberry muffins, and double chocolate raspberry almond muffins.
Jumbo Orange Muffins with Cranberries, Walnuts and Chocolate
- 1 (6-cavity) jumbo muffin pan
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 3 grams fresh orange zest (1 tablespoon)
- 250 grams all-purpose flour (1-3/4 cups), sifted
- 12 grams baking powder (2-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 grams fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 100 grams egg (2 large)
- 42 grams unsalted butter (3 tablespoons), melted and cooled
- 40 grams vegetable oil (3 tablespoons)
- 60 grams sour cream (1/4 cup)
- 60 grams whole milk (1/4 cup)
- 120 grams fresh orange juice (1/2 cup)
- 3 grams vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon)
- 80 grams fresh or frozen cranberries (1/2 cup)
- 60 grams walnuts, toasted (1/2 cup)
- 60 grams chocolate chips or chunks (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with paper liners.
- Add granulated sugar and fresh orange zest to small bowl. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and fine sea salt to large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the orange sugar to the flour mixture. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add eggs, melted butter, vegetable oil, sour cream, whole milk, fresh orange juice, and vanilla bean paste to large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Fold in using a large spatula. Avoid over mixing.
- Add the cranberries, toasted walnuts, and chocolate to the muffin batter. Fold in using a large spatula.
- Divide the muffin batter between the prepared muffin cups using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 22 minutes or until the edges of the muffin are golden brown, the center is firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Remove muffins from tin to cool completely.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature.