Vanilla Bean Cupcakes. These delicious, easy to make, made from scratch cupcakes are made using both all-purpose flour and cake flours for the perfect, soft texture. They feature vanilla bean paste for real vanilla flavor and with their perfect domed shape are ideal for decorating.
Why You Should Make These Cupcakes:
- so you have a place to put your favorite frosting.
- real vanilla flavor.
- kids love these cupcakes.
- unlimited decorating possibilities.
- they store extremely well.
How To Make Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
This cupcake batter uses both all-purpose flour and cake flour. The two are whisked together in a small bowl with baking powder and fine sea salt. The flour mix is set aside momentarily.
Unsalted butter is cream in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer in a large mixing bowl for about 2 minutes on medium speed. Sugar is added to the butter and the two are beaten on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
One large egg and the whites of two large eggs are added to the creamed butter and sugar. After each addition the batter is beaten for about 30 seconds to incorporate the eggs.
The vanilla bean paste is added to the batter and beaten just long enough to incorporate.
So far we’ve been mixing ingredients on medium speed for extended periods of time to combine them well and aerate the batter.
Now we mix on slow or by hand only to the point of the ingredients combining, otherwise we can create too much gluten and our cupcake could end up with a chewy texture.
Half the flour mix is added and beaten on low for about 10 seconds to incorporate. The milk is added and beaten on low for about 15 seconds. Just long enough to create a smooth mixture. The remaining flour is added and beaten on low for about 10 seconds to incorporate.
Like many recipes, I add the remaining flour and use a large spatula to finish the mixing. It’s always a good idea to use a large spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything has been added to the mix.
The cupcake batter is divided evenly among the paper cup line muffin tin. I use a large cookie scoop for this task.
The cupcakes are baked in a preheated oven for 22 minutes. They will be domed, firm to the tough, a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean and lightly golden around their top edge.
The cupcakes should be cooled for several minutes, at least, in the muffin tin before being removed from the tin to cool completely.
The cupcakes should be cooled completely before frosting or storing. Freeze these undecorated cupcakes in an airtight container for up to a month. This can give you a head start on getting cupcakes ready for your next bake sale, birthday or other special occasion.
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
- 1 (12 cup) muffin or cupcake pan
- 110 grams all-purpose flour (3/4 cup)
- 100 grams cake flour (3/4 cup)
- 8 grams baking powder (1-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 gram fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick OR 4 ounces), room temperature
- 180 grams granulated sugar (7/8 cup)
- 50 grams egg (1 large)
- 60 grams egg white (2 large)
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste (1 teaspoon)
- 150 grams whole milk (5/8 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Add all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and fine sea salt to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add unsalted butter to stand mixer. Using paddle attachment, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar to stand mixer. Cream butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, if necessary.
- Add whole egg to sugar mixture. Beat on medium until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add egg whites to sugar mixture. Beat on medium until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla bean paste. Beat just long enough to incorporate.
- Add half the flour mixture and beat on low until incorporated. Add the milk and beat on low until incorporated. Add remaining flour mixture and beat on low until incorporated.
- Divide the cupcake batter evenly between the cupcake liners.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and cool several minutes before removing cupcakes from muffin tin.
- Cool completely before frosting.