This white peach and cherry tart features a sweet vanilla pastry crust topped with fresh cherry jam, fresh white peach slices and fresh Bing cherry slices. Tart is baked until the cherry jam is bubbling and the fresh fruit pieces are nicely roasted and soft.
Why You Should Make This Tart
- fresh peaches are readily available during the summer months.
- peaches and cherries pair wonderfully together.
- the dough can be made days in advance of constructing the tart.
- the crust can be baked in advance of making the tart.
- no guess wirk as to when this tart has finished baking.
How To Make This Peach Tart
The crust for this tart starts with a sweet pastry dough. The dough and the baked crust can both be made in advance of making the tart.
All-purpose flour, sugar and fine sea salt are pulsed in a food processor to combine. Cold, cubed unsalted butter is added to the flour mix and pulsed long enough for the mixture to resemble coarse sand. One egg and a bit of vanilla are added to the mix and pulsed just long enough for the dough to begin to come together.
The dough is formed into a ball, flattened into a thin disc, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for an hour, or up to 3 days.
The cold dough is rolled into a large circle, placed inside a 9-inch removable bottom tart pan, and pressed into the sides and bottom of the pan. The pan is wrapped in plastic and chilled for 30 minutes.
The oven is preheated to 350 degrees F. A piece of parchment is placed over the chilled dough and filled with paper weights.
The crust is baked for 15 minutes, the parchment containing the weights is carefully removed and the tart crust is baked an additional 5 minutes. The crust is cooled completely before continuing.
Fresh homemade cherry jam or store bought cherry jam, jelly, or preserves are spread on the bottom of cooled sweet pastry crust.
The jam is topped with fresh white peach slices. I started from the outside and worked my way toward the center, overlapping the slices as I went. Bing cherries are pitted, halved, and sliced into 6 pieces per whole cherry. The cherry slices are laid on top of the white peach slices.
The tart is baked in a hot oven until the fresh fruit is cooked through and soft, and the cherry jam is bubbling.
The tart is amazing served slightly warm with a nice dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Tart Recipes You Might Enjoy
White Peach and Cherry Tart
- 1 (9-inch) removable bottom tart pan
Sweet Pastry Dough:
- 180 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/3 cups)
- 55 grams powdered sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 gram fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick OR 1/2 cup), cold and cubed
- 50 grams egg (1 large)
- 3 grams vanilla bean paste or extract (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- 3 each white peaches
- 12 each fresh cherries, pitted
Sweet Pastry Dough:
- Add all-purpose flour, powdered sugar, and salt to food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine.
- Add cold cubed butter to food processor and pulse until the mix resembles coarse sand.
- Add egg and vanilla bean paste to food processor. Pulse just long enough for the dough to start coming together.
- Transfer dough to flat surface. Press dough together into ball. Flatten into disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Place dough on lightly floured surface and roll out into 11-inch circle.
- Place dough round into 9-inch removable bottom tart pan.
- Press dough into sides and bottom of tart pan.
- Place parchment circle in tart pan, fill with pie weights.
- Bake tart crust in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove tart pan from oven and cool completely.
- Spread cherry jam over bottom of cooled sweet pastry crust.
- Rinse white peaches. Using a sharp knife, cut each peach in half, circling the knife around the pit. Pull the peach apart. Remove pit.
- Slice each peach half into six slices. Place peach slices over cherry jam, staring from the outside and working toward the center of the pan.
- Cut pitted cherries in half. Cut each half into 3 slices. Place cherry slices over peach slices.
- Bake white peach tart in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Slice tart into 8 individual pieces.