Strawberry Breakfast Cake. Tender breakfast, brunch, or dessert cake featuring a full pound of fresh strawberries. This cake is perfect for casual or elegant dining. Delicious out of hand, we like to top this with strawberry whipped cream, and strawberry sauce.
This week’s abundance of fresh strawberries went into this strawberry cake, some strawberry cinnamon rolls, strawberry puree, strawberry sauce, and strawberry whipped cream. I bought 3 pounds of nice looking berries at the supermarket and quickly went to work.
The dough for cinnamon rolls proofs overnight so that was first. When the dough is ready I’ll roll it out into a large rectangle and add roasted strawberries to the cinnamon sugar mix. After the rolls are cut, arranged in the baking pan and baked golden, I top with a vanilla glaze and dot each roll with more roasted strawberries.
More roasted strawberries are turned into strawberry puree. This is another one of those liquid gold must have on hand for me, like caramel sauce.
Some diced strawberries, fresh lemon juice, and a bit of sugar are combined and simmered to soften the fruit and create a nice thick sauce. This sauce is for topping the strawberry cake along with the strawberry flavored whipped cream, which I prepared second to last…
I added a cup of heavy cream to the stand mixer bowl and set it in the freezer for several minutes. I beat the cold cream on medium high speed with the whip attachment for several minutes to nice stiff peaks. I added a splash of strawberry puree and a heaping tablespoon of powdered sugar and beat on low for about 30 seconds until it incorporated.
Why You Should Make This Cake
- perfect breakfast or brunch cake.
- strawberry cake + strawberry sauce + strawberry whipped cream.
- cake prep comes together in minutes.
- same recipe can be baked into strawberry cupcakes.
- stores very well in an airtight container.
How To Make This Strawberry Breakfast Cake
A full pound of strawberries goes into this cake. They are rinsed, stemmed, and thickly sliced.
The oven is preheated to 375 degrees F., and a springform pan is buttered and lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
Eggs and granulated sugar are added to a stand mixer and beaten on medium high until well combined and aerated.
Sour cream, yogurt, vegetable oil and vanilla bean paste are added to the sugar mixture and beaten on low until the mix is well combined and smooth.
All-purpose flour, baking powder and sea salt are added to a small bowl, whisked to combine and added to the cake batter in two batches. Each addition is folded in with a large spatula, just until combined. Over mixing is avoided.
Half the cake batter is transferred to the springform pan and spread evenly across the bottom. Half the strawberries are placed evenly over the cake batter, cut side down. The process is repeated with the remaining cake batter and strawberry slices.
The cake is baked in a hot oven until golden and completely set.
Once removed from the oven, the cake is cooled on a wire rack in the springform pan.
I lie to serve this cake warm with strawberry flavored whipped cream and strawberry sauce.
Store in the springform pan, covered with foil overnight, or refrigerated for several days. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.
Other Cake Recipes You Might Enjoy
Strawberry Breakfast Cake
- 1 (9-inch) springform pan
- 100 grams egg (2 large), room temperature
- 200 grams granulated sugar (1 cup)
- 120 grams sour cream (1/2 cup)
- 120 grams plain yogurt (1/2 cup)
- 70 grams vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- 290 grams all-purpose flour (2-1/4 cups)
- 10 grams baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- 1 gram sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, thickly sliced
- Butter the sides and bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add eggs and granulated sugar to stand mixer. Beat on medium high speed for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream, plain yogurt, vegetable oil and vanilla bean paste to stand mixer. Beat on low until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, and sea salt to small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add half the flour mixture to the stand mixer bowl and fold in with a large spatula. Add remaining flour mixture and fold in with large spatula. Avoid over mixing.
- Transfer half the cake batter to the springform pan. Top with half the sliced strawberries. Spread remaining cake batter over the top. Place remaining strawberries, cut side down over cake batter.
- Bake strawberry breakfast cake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until the cake is golden, firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool on wire rack. Remove side from springform pan. Slide cake onto serving plate.
- Serve slightly warm or room temperature, plain, or with whipped cream and/or strawberry sauce.