Chocolate Banana Bread. A twist on the world’s favorite quick bread, this double chocolate banana bread features fresh banana, cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and vanilla bean paste. In the oven in minutes, this brunch treat is moist, tender, and delicious.
I’m a big fan of banana bread. One of the first baked goods I made once, and then kept making. Pop a slice in the toaster, a little melted butter. Heaven. The base recipe is perfect for adding your favorite add-ins that pair well with bananas, like nuts, other fruits, and chocolate.
Today were taking that a step further and creating a moist chocolate chip banana bread that features a double dose of chocolate. Cocoa powder plus semisweet chocolate chips. This bread is rich and delicious, perfect for brunch or dessert.
Why You Should Make This Quick Bread
- classic comfort food with a double chocolate twist.
- chocolate + vanilla + banana is delicious.
- recipe prep takes only a few minutes.
- warm banana bread bakes up in about an hour.
- chocolate banana bread stores very well.
How To Make Chocolate Banana Bread
This recipe goes pretty quick once you get all your ingredients in front of you, and bring your butter and eggs up to room temperature (slightly chilled is fine).
The oven is preheated to 350 degrees F. A 9 x 5-inch bread loaf pan is buttered, or coated with nonstick cooking spray, and/or outfitted with a parchment paper sling.
All-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and fine sea salt are added to a small mixing bowl, whisked to combine, and set aside.
Unsalted butter and light brown sugar are creamed in a stand mixer at medium speed using the paddle attachment, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Eggs are added, one at a time, to the sugar mixture. The eggs are beaten on low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds after each addition.
Ripe bananas are mashed in a small bowl using the back of a fork. The bananas can be a little chunky, but well mashed. The mashed banana is added to the stand mixer with sour cream and vanilla bean paste. The mix is beaten on low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
The bowl is removed from the stand mixer. The flour mixture is folded in using a large spatula. Semisweet chocolate chips are folded in.
The banana bread batter is poured into the prepared loaf pan, and spread into the corners of the pan.
The bread is topped with slices of fresh, barely ripe banana.
The chocolate banana bread is baked in a preheated oven for 65 to 70 minutes or until firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Loaf pan is removed from the oven and cooled on a wire rack. The pan is inverted to remove the loaf. Knife may be necessary to run around the edges of the bread and facilitate easier removal.
Other Quick Bread Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular quick bread recipes include banana bread, jumbo pumpkin banana chocolate muffins, pumpkin banana bread, apple bread, lemon raspberry bread, jumbo peach blueberry muffins, double chocolate raspberry almond muffins, and apple streusel muffins.
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 160 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/4 cups)
- 40 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (1/3 cup)
- 6 grams baking soda (1-1/4 teaspoons)
- 4 grams baking powder (3/4 teaspoon)
- 5 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)
- 84 grams unsalted butter (6 tablespoons), room temperature
- 220 grams light brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
- 100 grams eggs (2 large), room temperature
- 80 grams sour cream (1/3 cup)
- 4 each ripe bananas, peeled
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- 113 grams semisweet chocolate chips (1/2 cup OR 4 ounces)
- 1 each firm banana, sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5-inch bread loaf pan.
- Add all-purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and fine sea salt to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add unsalted butter and light brown sugar to stand mixer. Beat on medium speed, using paddle attachment, until light and creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat on low speed after each addition, until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Add ripe bananas to small bowl. Mash with the back of a fork. Add to stand mixer with sour cream and vanilla bean paste. Beat on low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Fold in the flour mixture, just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Avoid over mixing.
- Pour the bread batter into the prepared bread loaf pan. Smooth into the corners with an offset spatula.
- Top with slices of ripe banana. Bake in preheated oven for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove bread pan from oven and place on wire rack to cool. Run a knife along the edges of the bread pan to loosen the loaf. Invert, and remove bread from pan.
- Cut loaf into individual slices. Serve warm or at room temperature.