It looks like a cake layer or a cheesecake. It’s a tart. A pumpkin tart. A pumpkin tart with maple, rum, and orange on a chocolate almond crust topped with chocolate ganache.
Its rich. And delicious. The spices, the rum, the maple, the orange and vanilla play off the pumpkin and give it a distinctly different taste. The ricotta cheese gives it a lovely texture.
Here I’ve topped it with a cinnamon chocolate mascarpone whipped cream. A giant dollop. Every bite is creamy and memorable.
I make this tart year round. Usually I bake it in a springform pan, but it works equally as well in a 9-inch tart pan, mini tart pans, or an 8-inch square baking pan for making dessert bars. This is a fall favorite and a regular on the dessert table at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This tart starts with a chocolate almond crust. Sugar and almonds are processed until the nuts are finely ground. Unsweetened cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, sea salt and melted butter are added to the sugar mixture and processed until well combined. The crust mixture is pressed into the springform pan. The tart crust can be covered and refrigerated in the springform pan for several days.
Heavy cream is heated to a simmer. Dark chocolate is added to the warmed cream and whisked until smooth and glossy. The warm ganache is spread over the cooled crust.
The tart filling is made quickly in a stand mixer, or whisked by hand. All the ingredients for the filling go into one bowl, and the mixture is beaten with a paddle attachment until smooth and well combined.
The filling is poured over the ganache, spread evenly and baked in a for about an hour to set. The tart does not require any refrigeration. Don’t worry about storing leftovers. There wont be any.
Pumpkin Tart with Maple, Rum, and Orange on Chocolate Almond Crust
- 1 (9-inch) round removable bottom tart pan
Chocolate Almond Crust:
- 70 grams granulated sugar (1/3 cup)
- 50 grams slivered almonds (1/2 cup)
- 15 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (2 tablespoons)
- 65 grams all-purpose flour (1/2 cup)
- 1 gram sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 50 grams unsalted butter (3-1/2 tablespoons), melted
- 110 grams chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (4 ounces)
- 55 grams heavy cream (4 ounces)
- 250 grams 100% pure canned pumpkin (1 cup)
- 30 grams spiced rum (2 tablespoons)
- 80 grams egg yolks (4 large)
- 75 grams light or dark brown sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 95 grams fresh ricotta cheese (1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 40 grams pure maple syrup (2 tablespoons)
- 15 grams all-purpose flour (2 tablespoons)
- 4 grams vanilla bean paste (1 teaspoon)
- 5 grams fresh orange juice (1 teaspoon)
- 3 grams ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- 1 gram ground ginger (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 gram ground allspice (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 pinch ground cloves
Chocolate Almond Crust:
- Add the granulated sugar and almonds to a food processor. Pulse until the almond slices are finely ground.
- Add the unsweetened cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, and sea salt to sugar mixture. Process until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to bottom of a 9-inch (23cm) diameter removable bottom tart pan. Spread the mixture evenly in the tart pan and press firmly with an offset spatula or flat-bottomed drinking glass until smooth and even thickness.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Cool completely.
- Heat heavy cream in small saucepan until simmering. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Spread warm ganache over the bottom of the baked and cooled tart crust with an offset spatula, leaving about 1/4-inch of space to the side of the tart pan. Chill to set ganache.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add the pure pumpkin, spiced rum, egg yolks, brown sugar, ricotta cheese, pure maple syrup, all-purpose flour, vanilla bean paste, fresh orange juice, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground allspice, and ground cloves to a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat on low just until combined. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl, and ensure mixture is smooth and completely combined. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Carefully pour pumpkin filling over ganache topped chocolate crust. Smooth with an offset spatula, if necessary.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until center is set.
- Remove tart pan from oven and cool on sire rack.
- Stor tart at room temperature.