Lemon curd. Not too sweet. Wonderfully tart. Velvety smooth texture. Made with fresh organic eggs, heavy cream, fresh lemon juice and zest, superfine sugar, and butter churned from organic sweet cream.
This must make recipe can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. Store your finished product in an airtight container in the fridge and pull it out for spreading on toast, pancakes, biscuits, scones, muffins, or as a dipping sauce for your favorite shortbread cookie.
Countless uses. Amazing for so many dessert applications – cakes, cheesecakes, cupcakes, pies, tarts, cookies, and so on.
The taste, texture, and consistency make this an excellent choice for use in cake batters, as a filling between layers, and as a flavoring agent for frostings. Fill cupcakes and doughnuts with this stuff for an amazing treat.
How about a rich, creamy, filling for a buttery homemade sweet short crust pastry shell? Baked until the curd sets and chilled to firm. Slices served at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream.
As a filling for a mascarpone cheesecake bar? Simple graham cracker crust base. Delicious, creamy lemon flavored cheesecake bars topped with piped whipped cream.
In a glass? Just add vodka?
Making this from scratch is well worth the effort. Organic butter and superfine sugar are creamed in a stand mixer with lemon zest. Eggs are added 1 at a time. Lemon juice is added. Once well combined the mix is transferred to a saucepan and heated until it begins to thicken. Removed from the stove top, strained and chilled until ready to use.
- 24 grams fresh lemon zest (4 tablespoons)
- 300 grams granulated sugar (1-1/2 cups), blended until superfine
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 250 grams egg (5 large), room temperature
- 120 grams fresh lemon juice (1/2 cup)
- Add the fresh lemon zest, blended sugar, and unsalted butter to stand mixer. Beat with paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time. Beat on low just until combined. Add fresh lemon juice. Beat on low until well combined.
- Transfer lemon mixture to medium saucepan. Heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Strain mixture. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 1 week.