Chocolate Banana Coconut Muffins. Easy to prepare, these chocolatey breakfast treats feature cocoa powder, chocolate chunks, banana, toasted sweetened coconut, and vanilla bean paste. Jumbo muffins topped with a brown sugar, cocoa powder, toasted coconut streusel.
A few weeks back I made jumbo apple streusel muffins, a cinnamon brown sugar apple muffin topped with crunchy pecan streusel. They were a big hit and gone quickly. My favorite desserts, baked goods and brunch treats often feature some kind of crunchy topping, so when I decided to bake a batch of chocolate banana muffins, I immediately thought about sprinkling something over the unbaked batter, and toasted coconut came to mind. Coconut pairs well with chocolate and bananas, so why not. The streusel includes some cocoa powder and brown sugar to add a chocolate and caramel taste package to wrap the toasted coconut in.
Why You Should Make These Muffins
- toasted coconut streusel can be prepared several days in advance.
- chocolate + banana + coconut is delicious.
- rich enough to serve for dessert.
- these chocolate banana muffins store very well.
How To Make These Chocolate Banana Coconut Muffins
Light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and cocoa powder are added to a small missing bowl, and whisked to combine. Coconut oil is stirred in. toasted sweetened coconut flakes are stirred in. Unsalted butter is cut in with the back of a fork or pastry cutter.
The oven is preheated to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with cooking spray or line cups with jumbo muffin liners.
All-purpose flour, baking powder, toasted sweetened coconut, light brown sugar, and unsweetened cocoa powder are added to a medium mixing bowl, whisked to combine, and set aside.
Two eggs, vanilla bean paste, heavy cream, coconut oil, and mashed banana are added to large mixing bowl.
Flour mixture is folded into banana mixture using large spatula. Chocolate chunks are folded into muffin batter. Batter is divided evenly into prepared muffin pan. Batter is topped liberally with coconut streusel.
Muffins are baked in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Muffin pan placed on wire rack to cool.
Other Muffin Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular muffin recipes include pumpkin banana chocolate muffins, banana pecan muffins, lemon ricotta blueberry muffins, raspberry cheesecake muffins and apple streusel muffins.
Find Tartistry on: Pinterest Instagram and Facebook. Please feel free to leave comments and questions below. I would love to hear from you.
Chocolate, Banana Coconut Muffins
- 1 (6-cavity) jumbo muffin pan
Toasted Coconut Streusel:
- 50 grams light brown sugar (1/4 cup)
- 43 grams all-purpose flour (1/3 cup)
- 6 grams cocoa powder (1 tablespoon)
- 15 grams coconut oil (1 tablespoon), melted
- 20 grams toasted sweetened coconut (1/4 cup)
- 28 grams unsalted butter (2 tablespoon), cold + cubed
Chocolate Banana Muffins:
- 375 grams all-purpose flour (2-1/2 cups)
- 10 grams baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- 40 grams toasted sweetened coconut (1/2 cup)
- 150 grams light brown sugar (3/4 cup)
- 25 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
- 100 grams egg (2 large), lightly beaten
- 10 grams vanilla bean paste (2 teaspoons)
- 120 grams heavy cream (1/2 cup)
- 120 grams coconut oil or vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- 500 grams mashed banana (2 cups)
- 170 grams chopped dark chocolate chunks or semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- Add light brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and cocoa powder to small mixing bowl. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Stir in coconut oil.
- Fold in toasted sweet coconut.
- Cut in cold + cubed unsalted butter with fingers, the back of a fork or a pastry cutter.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Chocolate Banana Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6-cavity jumbo muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, toasted sweetened coconut, light brown sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder to medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add eggs, vanilla bean paste, heavy cream, coconut oil, and mashed banana to large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Fold flour mixture into banana mixture using a large spatula. Avoid over mixing. Fold in chopped chocolate chunks.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin cups. Cups should be about 3/4 full.
- Top muffins with coconut streusel.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan from oven and cool on wire rack. Serve individual muffins at room temperature or slightly warm.
- Store muffins in airtight container for several days.