Crunchy, twice baked Italian cookies enjoyed with coffee, ice cream or wine. Twist on traditional almond cookie features two types of chocolate. Pure vanilla bean paste enhances the unsweetened cocoa powder and dark chocolate chunks. A healthy dose of toasted sliced almonds completes this delicious cookie offering.
Biscotti are a personal favorite. Original recipes are packed with almonds and our double chocolate twist on tradition is no exception.
Why You Should Make These Cookies
- chocolate + almond combo is delicious.
- crispy cookies are perfect for dunking in milk or hot chocolate.
- Italy’s favorite cookie treat.
- perfect for holiday gift boxes.
- these cookies store very well.
How to Make These Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti
Butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar are creamed in the bowl of a stand mixer. Two eggs are added, one a time, to the sugar mixture and beaten on low just long enough to incorporate. Vanilla bean paste is added and beaten on low to incorporated.
Unsweetened cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and sea salt are added to a small mixing bowl and whisked to combine.
The cocoa mixture is gradually added to the stand mixer bowl, about 1/4 cup at a time, and beaten just long enough to incorporate.
Toasted sliced almonds and dark chocolate chunks are stirred in.
The cookie dough is shaped into a loaf and baked in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes. The loaf is cooled just long enough to hold the loaf while cutting it into individual cookies. The cookies are laid on their cut side, and returned to the oven for an additional 8 minutes. Optionally, the cookies are flipped over to their other cut side and baked an additional 8 minutes.
The crunchy, twice baked Italian cookies can be enjoyed with coffee, a nice dessert wine (or stout beer), or your favorite ice cream.
Other Cookie Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some of our most popular cookie recipes include: brownie cookies, amaretti cookies, chocolate shortbread, dark chocolate chunk cookies, and pecan streusel cookies.
Find Tartistry on: Pinterest Instagram and Facebook. Please feel free to leave comments and questions below. I would love to hear from you.
Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti
- 57 grams butter (1/4 cup OR 4 tablespoons), room temperature
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 50 grams light brown sugar (1/4 cup)
- 100 grams egg (2 large)
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or extract (1 teaspoon)
- 45 grams unsweetened cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 190 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/2 cups)
- 5 grams baking powder (1 teaspoon)
- 1 gram fine sea salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- 115 grams sliced almonds (4 ounces), toasted
- 84 grams dark chocolate chunks or semi-sweet chocolate chips (4 ounces OR 1/2 cup)
- 28 grams dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate (1 ounce OR 2 tablespoons), melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C.). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add butter, granulated sugar and light brown sugar to bowl of stand mixer. Beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla bean paste and beat just until incorporated.
- Add sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and fine sea salt to small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Gradually add the cocoa powder mixture to the sugar mixture about 1/4 cup at a time. Beat on low just long enough to incorporate.
- Stir in the toasted sliced almonds and dark chocolate chunks.
- Remove cookie dough from bowl to parchment paper on baking sheet. Form dough into rectangle measuring 10-inches x 4-inches, approximately 1-1/4 inches in height. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake cookie loaf in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes, just long enough for the dough to be cool enough to cut.
- Cut dough into (10) 1-inch x 4-inch cookies. Place cookies on their cut side. Return to oven to bake for 8 minutes. Flip cookies on to the other cut side and bake for an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cooled cookies. (optional)
- Store double chocolate almond biscotti in airtight container for several days.