Blondies with Dark Chocolate and Macadamia Nuts. Rich and chewy dessert bar with a brownie like texture and a deep caramel flavor. Each bar is packed with macadamia nuts and dark chocolate.
Blondies with dark chocolate and macadamia nuts. Dessert bars start with a combination of melted butter, light and dark brown sugars, egg, macadamia butter, and pure vanilla bean paste.
Brown sugar is the sweetener of choice. Depending on the selection you make, light brown sugar, dark brown sugar, or a blend of the two, your blondies will have a flavor profile between butterscotch, caramel, and toffee. Light brown sugar has less molasses than dark sugar. It is the molasses in the sugar that results in a moister, heavier, and chewier baked good.
Part of the allure of blondies is the generous amount of vanilla that is in these bars. Pure vanilla bean paste delivers rich vanilla flavor, with the addition of finely ground pieces from the vanilla bean pod.
To make macadamia nut butter, macadamia nuts are combined with a pinch of salt and blended in the food processor/blender/Vitamix until smooth. This can be accomplished in several short sessions, with time in between for the motor in your machine to cool. Alternately, you can use a jarred substitute such as peanut butter, or almond butter.
The wet ingredients are combined with a mix of all-purpose flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Once the cookie batter is smooth, the macadamia nut pieces and dark chocolate are folded in. The batter is spread evenly into the prepared baking pan and baked until the top is golden and the cookie dough is just set.
Once cooled the bars are cut into squares or rectangles for serving.
Blondies are delicious served warm. Top with ice cream and caramel sauce for something a little more decadent.
Blondies with Dark Chocolate and Macadamia Nuts
- 142 grams unsalted butter (1-1/4 sticks), melted and cooled
- 200 grams dark brown sugar (1 cup)
- 133 grams light brown sugar (2/3 cup)
- 100 grams egg (2 large eggs)
- 20 grams egg yolks (1 large egg yolk)
- 100 grams almond butter (1/4 cup)
- 10 grams vanilla bean paste (2 teaspoons)
- 3 grams kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 grams ground cinnamon (1/8 teaspoon)
- 187 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/2 cups)
- 3 grams baking powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- 125 grams macadamia nuts (1 cup)
- 168 grams dark chocolate chunks OR semisweet chocolate chips OR milk chocolate chips (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a 9 x 9-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Add melted butter, dark brown sugar, light brown sugar, eggs and yolk, almond butter, vanilla paste, sea salt, and ground cinnamon to a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and baking powder to a separate bowl. Whisk to combine. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. Fold in with large spatula.
- Fold in 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, and 3/4 cup chocolate chunks or chips.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan using a spatula. Top with remaining macadamia nuts, and chocolate chunks or chips.
- Bake in preheated oven until cooked through and golden brown on top, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the blondies. It should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Slice into individual dessert bars.
- Store at room temperature for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container. Freeze baked bars up to 1 month.