Toasted Oatmeal Lace Cookies. Toasted oats combined with brown butter give these cookies a rich, nutty flavor. The toasted oats add crispiness while the browned butter and brown sugar add a layer of caramel flavor.
They stack nicely and look brilliant when gift wrapped.
Rolled or old-fashioned oats are toasted for a few minutes to give them a little color and take a bit of their rawness away. Butter is browned to add a rich, nutty flavor to the toasted oats. The brown butter and brown sugar deliver a rich caramel flavor. A pinch of salt gives that salty sweet combo we love, and some vanilla bean paste makes them smell and taste that much better.
A bit of egg and flour hold these cookies together, barely, as they flatten and have an almost transparent lace-like look.
Hard to believe maybe, but these cookies can be in the oven in minutes. Very little prep. Brown the butter, add everything together. Scoop small amounts of cookie batter onto parchment lined cookie sheets, press down a little. Bake six to a sheet tray, they really spread. They’ll be done in 5 to 7 minutes. Cool completely.
You can swap out some of the old-fashioned oats (a 1/2 cup) with your favorite coarsely chopped nut, throw in a few mini chocolate chips, coconut, or tiny dried fruit pieces.
Toasted Oatmeal Lace Cookies
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick OR 1/2 cup)
- 225 grams light brown sugar (1 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 100 grams old-fashioned oats (1 cup + 2 tablespoons)
- 2 grams vanilla bean paste (1/2 teaspoon)
- 25 grams egg (1/2 large), beaten
- 3 grams kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 4 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/2 teaspoons)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Add butter to small saucepan. Over low heat, melt and then continue cooking the butter until golden in color with a nutty aroma. Remove from the heat. Set aside.
- Add light brown sugar, old-fashioned oats, vanilla bean paste, and egg to a medium mixing bowl. Add in brown butter. Stir until well combined.
- Stir in kosher salt and all-purpose flour.
- Drop small round scoops of cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets, press down slightly, about 6 per sheet as they spread several inches in all directions.
- Bake 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.