Strawberry Tart with Chocolate Crust. This easy to make strawberry tart with an Oreo tart crust has a delicious filling of fresh strawberries with a strawberry syrup that sets when cooled. Individual slices are served with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
Why You Should Make This Tart
- its a pretty tart, worthy of any occasion.
- strawberries and chocolate are a match made in heaven.
- the oreo crust can be made in advance of tart construction.
- the tart can be made a day in advance of serving.
How To Make This Strawberry Tart
Oreo cookies are ground in a food processor or smashed in a plastic bag into fine crumbs. The crumbs are combined with melted butter. The crumb mixture is transferred to a 9-inch removable bottom tart pan.
The tart crust is chilled for 30 minutes to set and avoid some shrinkage when baked. The chilled tart is baked in preheated 350 degrees F. oven for 10 minutes. The tart crust is cooled completely.
A mix of light brown sugar and cornstarch are sprinkled over the bottom of the tart crust.
Fresh strawberries are rinsed, stemmed, and thinly sliced lengthwise. The thin slices are arranged in a single layer on the bottom of the cooled tart crust. Remaining slices are arranged in a second layer.
The tart is baked in preheated 400 degrees F. oven for 15 minutes.
Diced fresh strawberries are simmered in a saucepan with a splash of fresh lemon juice and some strawberry jam or preserves. The strawberry mixture is stirred and cooked long enough for the strawberries to break down and release their juices. To thicken and sweeten the mixture we add some powdered sugar and a pinch or two of agar agar powder. The sauce is simmered for 2 minutes to fully activate the agar agar and then strained to remove any lumps, seeds, etc.
The syrup is poured over the baked strawberry tart and spread evenly with an offset spatula or the back of a tablespoon to fill the nooks and crannies.
The tart is cooled to room temperature to allow the strawberry syrup to thicken and set.
I served the tart with strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
Other Tartistry Tarts You Might Enjoy
Strawberry Tart with Chocolate Crust
- 1 (9-inch) removable bottom tart pan
Chocolate Oreo Crust:
- 250 grams Oreo cookie sandwiches (18 cookies)
- 56 grams unsalted butter (4 tablespoons), melted
- 450 grams fresh strawberries, rinsed, stems removed (16 ounces)
- 8 grams cornstarch (1 tablespoon)
- 13 grams light brown sugar (1 tablespoon)
- 225 grams fresh strawberries, rinsed, stemmed and diced
- 5 grams fresh lemon juice (1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 25 grams powdered sugar (3 tablespoons)
- 1 gram agar agar powder (1/4 teaspoon)
Chocolate Oreo Crust:
- Add Oreo cookies to food processor. Process until cookies are ground into fine crumbs.
- Add melted butter and pulse to combine.
- Transfer crumb mixture to 9-inch removable bottom tart pan. Press crumbs evenly into sides and bottom of tart pan. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 10 minutes.
- Remove tart pan from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine cornstarch and light brown sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle into bottom of cooled tart crust.
- Thinly slice strawberries lengthwise. Arrange strawberries in overlapping fashion over cornstarch mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove tart from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- Add diced fresh strawberries and strawberry preserves to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium low heat, stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until strawberries have softened and begin to break down.
- Add powdered sugar and agar agar powder to boiling puree. Cook 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Strain liquid through strainer. Use back of spoon to squeeze strawberries through strainer.
- Pour syrup over cooled strawberries in tart crust.
- Spread evenly with offset spatula to ensure the liquid reaches covers the strawberries.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate to store.