Strawberry Doughnuts. Baked buttermilk doughnuts feature fresh diced strawberry, a splash of vanilla, and a bit of lemon zest. Doughnuts are topped three ways – a brushing of melted butter and fine sugar, vanilla bean glaze, and fresh strawberry glaze.
After a nice week off, I’m back with a new baked doughnut recipe. My obsession with strawberries is also back. It went away for a few days. I bought a pound to make smoothies and to put in a salad. I bought a second pound to make these strawberry doughnuts today and a strawberry cheesecake tomorrow. Any leftover strawberries will be roasted and turned into strawberry sauce or strawberry puree.
I’m thinking about Thanksgiving, like everyone else. Cooking for five. It’s the one holiday I splurge and make way too much food. I’m keeping it fairly simple though this year. Staying in my comfort zone and making dishes I’ve made many times before.
Off to Specialty Produce and Seisel’s Old Fashioned Meats on Saturday for some gourmet selections to take my crudité/charcuterie board to another level.
Several new upcoming tarts I’ve been working on are next up. Both are multilayered centered around chocolate.
Why You Should Make These Doughnuts
- the batter comes together in minutes.
- delicious cakey doughnuts feature strawberry + lemon + vanilla.
- strawberry and vanilla bean glazes are perfect compliments.
- these doughnuts are great breakfast and brunch treats.
- they store very well in an airtight container.
How to Make These Strawberry Doughnuts
These doughnuts start with a little melted and cooled butter. The butter is combined with vegetable oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl. The mix is whisked until smooth.
Two eggs, a splash of vanilla bean paste, fresh lemon zest and a full cup of buttermilk are added to the sugar mixture and whisked until smooth, and everything is well combined.
All-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt are added to a small bowl and whisked to combine.
The flour mixture is added to the sugar mixture in the large mixing bowl. The flour is folded in using a large spatula. Diced fresh strawberries are folded in.
Three (6-cavity) doughnut pans OR two (4-cavity) jumbo doughnut pans are sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or wiped with vegetable oil.
The doughnut batter is transferred to a large plastic and the bag is sealed. One corner of the bag is snipped with scissors and the batter is piped into the prepared doughnut pan cavities. Alternately, the batter can be piped in with a piping bag, or spooned in and spread evenly with the back of the spoon or a finger. The cavities should be about 2/3 full.
The doughnuts are baked in a preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes for regular size doughnuts, and 12 to 15 minutes for jumbo size doughnuts. The doughnuts should be firm to the touch, and golden brown.
The pans are removed from the oven and cooled for several minutes before the doughnuts are removed from the pans to cool completely.
I topped some of my doughnuts with brushed melted butter and sprinkled sugar. The remaining doughnuts were glazed with strawberry and vanilla bean glazes.
Other Doughnut Recipes You Might Enjoy
- 56 grams unsalted butter (4 tablespoons), melted
- 56 grams vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 100 grams egg (2 large)
- 10 grams vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (2 teaspoons)
- 4 grams fresh lemon zest (2 teaspoons)
- 240 grams buttermilk (1 cup)
- 350 grams all-purpose flour (2-3/4 cups)
- 8 grams baking powder (1-1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 grams baking soda (1/4 teaspoon)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 150 grams hulled and diced fresh strawberries (1 cup)
- 5 grams honey, warmed
- 15 grams granulated sugar
- 45 grams powdered sugar
- 15 grams strawberry puree (1 tablespoon)
- 45 grams powdered sugar
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (1 teaspoon)
- 15 grams heavy cream (1 tablespoon)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray three 6-cavity doughnut pans (OR two 4-cavity jumbo doughnut pans) with non-stick cooking spray or wipe with vegetable oil.
- Add melted butter, vegetable oil, and granulated sugar to large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Add eggs, vanilla bean paste, fresh lemon zest and buttermilk to sugar mixture. Whisk until well combined.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt to small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to large mixing bowl. Fold in with large spatula.
- Add diced fresh strawberries to doughnut batter. Fold in with large spatula.
- Spoon or pipe strawberry doughnut batter into doughnut pans.
- Bake regular size doughnuts for 7 to 8 minutes. Bake jumbo size doughnuts 10 to 12 minutes. Doughnuts should be firm to the touch.
- Cool in pans for several minutes. Remove doughnuts from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Brush several with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Add powdered sugar and fresh strawberry puree to small bowl. Stir to combine. Add additional fresh strawberry puree in drops to achieve desired consistency. Dip doughnuts in glaze or brush with pastry brush to coat.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla bean extract and heavy cream to small bowl. Stir to combine. Add additional heavy cream in drops to achieve desired consistency. Dip doughnuts in glaze or brush with pastry brush to coat.