Caramel Apple Cupcakes. These delicious jumbo caramel cupcakes are filled with apples sautéed in butter, dark brown sugar and cinnamon. Caramel apple cupcakes topped with chocolate frosting.
Why You Should Make These Cupcakes
- the caramel cupcakes pair well with so many flavors.
- this is like apple pie with chocolate whipped cream.
- caramel / apple / chocolate combination is incredible.
- all 3 components to this recipe can be made in advance.
- These cupcakes store extremely well.
How To Make Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin with jumbo paper cupcake liners.
Our caramel cupcake batter starts with a mix of all-purpose flour, baking powder and fine sea salt. The flour mix is whisked and set aside.
Room temperature unsalted butter is beaten until creamy. Dark brown sugar and granulated sugar are added to the butter and beaten until light and fluffy.
Two eggs are added to the cupcake batter. One egg at a time and the sugar mixture is beaten on low long enough to ensure the egg is well incorporated.
Vanilla bean paste and the flour mixture are added to the cupcake batter. The mix is beaten just long enough to combine the wet and dry. The milk is added and stirred in using a large wooden spoon or spatula. Not looking to over mix here. Doing so can create a tougher texture.
The cupcake batter is divided among the 6 cupcake liners. The cupcakes are baked in a preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until their tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the top of a cupcake comes back clean.
The cupcakes are removed from the oven and cooled in the tin for several minutes before being removed from the pan and cooled to room temperature on a wire rack.
A Honeycrisp apple (or apple of your choice) is peeled, cored, and sliced into a dozen slices. The apple slices, a teaspoon of butter, and a tablespoon of dark brown sugar are added to a small skillet. The Apples are sautéed over medium heat until they begin to soften and caramelize. Apple juice or cider is added to the skillet, and the apples are poached until soft. The apples are cool
A cavity is created in each cupcake using a biscuit cutter, an apple corer, or a paring knife. The caramelized apples are diced and divided among the holes created in the 6 doughnuts.
Butter is beaten in a stand mixer for 5 minutes. Powdered sugar is added to the creamed butter and beaten for an additional 10 minutes. Cocoa powder is added to the frosting and beaten to incorporate. Milk is added to thin the frosting a bit so its smooth and pipes easy.
Other Cupcake Recipes:
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- 1 (6 cup) jumbo muffin tin
- 190 grams all-purpose flour (1-1/2 cups)
- 4 grams baking powder (3/4 teaspoon)
- 3 grams fine sea salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 200 grams dark brown sugar (1 cup)
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick OR 1/2 cup), softened
- 100 grams egg (2 large), room temperature
- 5 grams vanilla bean paste or extract (1 teaspoon)
- 120 grams whole milk or buttermilk (1/2 cup)
- 1 each firm Honeycrisp Apple, peeled, cored and sliced into 12 slices
- 5 grams unsalted butter (1 teaspoon)
- 12 grams light brown sugar (1 tablespoon)
- 60 grams apple juice (1/4 cup)
- 113 grams unsalted butter (1 stick OR 1/2 cup)
- 250 grams powdered sugar (2 cups)
- 22 grams cocoa powder (3 tablespoons)
- 15 grams whole milk (1 tablespoon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin with jumbo cupcake paper liners.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder and fine sea salt to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter to stand mixer. Beat on medium until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat on low until incorporated. Add vanilla bean paste and beat on low until incorporated.
- Add flour mix about 1/2 cup at a time and beat on low for about 15 seconds after each addition.
- Remove bowl from stand mixer. Add milk to cupcake batter. Stir milk into batter using large spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over mix.
- Divide cupcake batter between 6 paper cup liners.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out crumb free.
- Remove muffin tin from oven and place on wire rack. Allow cupcakes to cool for several minutes before removing from muffin tin. Cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Add apple slices unsalted butter, and brown sugar to small skillet. Heat on low over medium low heat. Saute apples until golden, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add apple juice and simmer until the apples are soft and the apple juice has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Dice the apples into very small pieces.
- Using a small biscuit cutter, apple corer, or a paring knife, cut a small cavity into each cupcake and fill with the diced apple.
- Add unsalted butter to stand mixer. Beat on medium for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 the powdered sugar and beat on low for 30 seconds to incorporate. Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat on low for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cocoa powder and beat on low for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the whole milk and beat on medium for 1 minute.
- Apply frosting in your favorite style (I piped chocolate roses with a closed star decorating tip)